Medical billers and coders are the professionals responsible for coding medical claims and submitting them to insurance companies. If a job like this appeals to you, continue reading and learn more about this careers and the various medical billing & coding schools available in South Carolina.
Find Accredited Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
The first step towards a career as a medical billing & coding careers is finding an accredited school. Accredited schools, such as those accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), offer the curriculum necessary to work as medical biller and coders and also prepare students to take certification exams. South Carolina has more than a dozen accredited schools for this career, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Depending on the level of study, students may complete their training in six month to two years. Medical billing & coding programs include medical office classes and an internship.
List of Medical Insurance - Billing and Coding School South Carolina
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Billing and Coding - Certificate
- Electronic Health Records - Associate of Occupational Science
- Medical Office Assistant - Diploma
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Administrative Billing and Coding
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Certificate in Medical Billing & Coding
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Master of Business Admin w/Con Health Care Admin
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
South Carolina, like most states, does not require that medical billing & coding specialists become certified; however, voluntary certification will not only enhance your resume but also increase your chances of promotions and wage increases. The AHIMA and the AAPC both offer various levels of certification for this career. Obtaining certification requires passing a certification exam. To be eligible to take the certification exams, you must have attended an accredited school or have sufficient work experience.
Salaries for a Medical Biller and Coders in South Carolina
Medical billing & coding specialists nationwide earned an average annual wage of $34,970 as of a May 2013 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report. Medical biller and coders working in South Carolina earned wages vary close to those figures. The average wages earned in Charleston and Columbia were $32,674 and $32,250, according to a May 2014 report by Salary.com. Factors that may affect earnings are location, level of training and number of certifications earned.
List of South Carolina Medical Billing Coding School Programs
South Carolina has various schools that offer medical billing & coding programs. Depending on the program, students may earn certificates, diplomas or associate degrees. Here are just a few of the schools and training programs.
• Electronic Health Records Certificate – 1 year - Aiken Technical College – Granite, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Greenville Technical College – Greenville, SC
• Medical Records Coder Certificate – 40 credit hours - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Medical Coding and Reimbursement Specialist Certificate – 2 semesters - Spartanburg Community College – Spartanburg, SC
More Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
|Central Carolina Technical College||506 N Guignard Dr, |
Sumter, SC 29150
|Forrest College||601 East River Street • |
Anderson, SC 29624
|Medix School – Fortis College||246 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 101|
Columbia, SC 29210
|Piedmont Technical College||620 N. Emerald Rd.|
Greenwood, SC 29648
|Remington College – Columbia||607 Bush River Rd, |
Columbia, SC 29210
|Southeastern Institute – Charleston||4600 Goer Drive, Suite 105, |
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
|Virginia College||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406
|Virginia College – Greenville||78 Global Dr., Ste. 200|
Greenville, SC 29607
|Virginia College in Charleston||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406