Medical billers and coders are the professionals responsible for coding medical claims and submitting them to insurance companies. If a job like this appeals to you, continue reading and learn more about this careers and the various medical billing & coding schools available in South Carolina.
Find Accredited Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
The first step towards a career as a medical billing & coding careers is finding an accredited school. Accredited schools, such as those accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), offer the curriculum necessary to work as medical biller and coders and also prepare students to take certification exams. South Carolina has more than a dozen accredited schools for this career, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Depending on the level of study, students may complete their training in six month to two years. Medical billing & coding programs include medical office classes and an internship.
List of Medical Insurance - Billing and Coding School South Carolina
Get Career-Relevant Training with Miller-Motte Tech!
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
South Carolina, like most states, does not require that medical billing & coding specialists become certified; however, voluntary certification will not only enhance your resume but also increase your chances of promotions and wage increases. The AHIMA and the AAPC both offer various levels of certification for this career. Obtaining certification requires passing a certification exam. To be eligible to take the certification exams, you must have attended an accredited school or have sufficient work experience.
Salaries for a Medical Biller and Coders in South Carolina
Medical billing & coding specialists nationwide earned an average annual wage of $34,970 as of a May 2013 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report. Medical biller and coders working in South Carolina earned wages vary close to those figures. The average wages earned in Charleston and Columbia were $32,674 and $32,250, according to a May 2014 report by Salary.com. Factors that may affect earnings are location, level of training and number of certifications earned.
List of South Carolina Medical Billing Coding School Programs
South Carolina has various schools that offer medical billing & coding programs. Depending on the program, students may earn certificates, diplomas or associate degrees. Here are just a few of the schools and training programs.
• Electronic Health Records Certificate – 1 year - Aiken Technical College – Granite, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Greenville Technical College – Greenville, SC
• Medical Records Coder Certificate – 40 credit hours - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Medical Coding and Reimbursement Specialist Certificate – 2 semesters - Spartanburg Community College – Spartanburg, SC
More Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
|Central Carolina Technical College||506 N Guignard Dr, |
Sumter, SC 29150
|Forrest College||601 East River Street • |
Anderson, SC 29624
|Medix School – Fortis College||246 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 101|
Columbia, SC 29210
|Piedmont Technical College||620 N. Emerald Rd.|
Greenwood, SC 29648
|Remington College – Columbia||607 Bush River Rd, |
Columbia, SC 29210
|Southeastern Institute – Charleston||4600 Goer Drive, Suite 105, |
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
|Virginia College||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406
|Virginia College – Greenville||78 Global Dr., Ste. 200|
Greenville, SC 29607
|Virginia College in Charleston||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406