Medical billers and coders are the professionals responsible for coding medical claims and submitting them to insurance companies. If a job like this appeals to you, continue reading and learn more about this careers and the various medical billing & coding schools available in South Carolina.
Find Accredited Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
The first step towards a career as a medical billing & coding careers is finding an accredited school. Accredited schools, such as those accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), offer the curriculum necessary to work as medical biller and coders and also prepare students to take certification exams. South Carolina has more than a dozen accredited schools for this career, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Depending on the level of study, students may complete their training in six month to two years. Medical billing & coding programs include medical office classes and an internship.
List of Medical Insurance - Billing and Coding School South Carolina
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate
- Medical Office Specialist Certificate
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Business Admin w/Con Health Care Admin
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
South Carolina, like most states, does not require that medical billing & coding specialists become certified; however, voluntary certification will not only enhance your resume but also increase your chances of promotions and wage increases. The AHIMA and the AAPC both offer various levels of certification for this career. Obtaining certification requires passing a certification exam. To be eligible to take the certification exams, you must have attended an accredited school or have sufficient work experience.
Salaries for a Medical Biller and Coders in South Carolina
Medical billing & coding specialists nationwide earned an average annual wage of $34,970 as of a May 2013 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report. Medical biller and coders working in South Carolina earned wages vary close to those figures. The average wages earned in Charleston and Columbia were $32,674 and $32,250, according to a May 2014 report by Salary.com. Factors that may affect earnings are location, level of training and number of certifications earned.
List of South Carolina Medical Billing Coding School Programs
South Carolina has various schools that offer medical billing & coding programs. Depending on the program, students may earn certificates, diplomas or associate degrees. Here are just a few of the schools and training programs.
• Electronic Health Records Certificate – 1 year - Aiken Technical College – Granite, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Greenville Technical College – Greenville, SC
• Medical Records Coder Certificate – 40 credit hours - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Associate Degree in Health Information Management – 2 years - Midlands Technical College – West Columbia, SC
• Medical Coding and Reimbursement Specialist Certificate – 2 semesters - Spartanburg Community College – Spartanburg, SC
More Medical Billing and Coding Schools in South Carolina
|Central Carolina Technical College||506 N Guignard Dr, |
Sumter, SC 29150
|Forrest College||601 East River Street • |
Anderson, SC 29624
|Medix School – Fortis College||246 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 101|
Columbia, SC 29210
|Piedmont Technical College||620 N. Emerald Rd.|
Greenwood, SC 29648
|Remington College – Columbia||607 Bush River Rd, |
Columbia, SC 29210
|Southeastern Institute – Charleston||4600 Goer Drive, Suite 105, |
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
|Virginia College||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406
|Virginia College – Greenville||78 Global Dr., Ste. 200|
Greenville, SC 29607
|Virginia College in Charleston||6185 Rivers Ave.|
North Charleston, SC 29406