Does the idea of working in a medical office and taking care of the billing and claims appeal to you? If so, you may want to check into becoming a medical billing and coding specialist. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical records and health information technicians are expected to see an employment growth of 22% between 2012 and 2022. Read below to learn about medical billing and coding schools in Oregon.
Find Accredited Medical Billing and Coding Schools in Oregon
The National Center for Education Statistics states there are more than a dozen accredited schools offering medical billing and coding programs in Oregon. Finding an accredited school is important because you’ll receive the type of training necessary to obtain certification and work in this field. The two most recognized accrediting organizations are the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). Students may earn certificates, diplomas or degrees in medical billing and coding, depending on the school and the program.
List of Medical Insurance - Billing & Coding School Oregon
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
Although medical insurance - billing & coding specialists are generally not required to be certified in Oregon, most employers prefer certification. In fact, some insurance companies won’t pay claims unless they were submitted by certified medical billing and coding specialists. To become certified, you must pass a computer-based certification exam through an approved agency, such as the AHIMA or the AAPC. There are several certifications one can earn; the more certifications earned, the better the earning potential.
Salaries for a Medical Billers and Coders in Oregon
Wages for medical billers and coders in Oregon vary from one city to another. As of a May 2014 Salary.com report, medical billers and coders in Bend earned an average wage of $30,246 while those farther south in Medford earned $31,210. The highest wages were earned in the northern part of the state. In Portland, the average wage for medical billers and coders was $35,531, while those in Eugene earned about $36,633.
List of Oregon Medical Billing Coding School Programs
• Medical Coding Certificate – 21 months - Central Oregon Community College – Bend, OR
• Medical Billing Specialist Certificate – 15 months - Central Oregon Community College – Bend, OR
• Health Information Management Associate Degree – 2 years - Chemeketa Community College – Salem, OR
• Medical Coding and Insurance Billing Certificate – 1 year – Chemeketa Community College – Salem, OR
• Health Records Technology Certificate – 1 year - Lane Community College – Eugene, OR
• Medical Coding Certificate – 1 year – Lane Community College – Eugene, OR
• Health Information Management Associate Degree (Online program) – 2 years -Portland Community College – Portland, OR
• Medical Coding Courses also offered at Portland Community College – Portland, OR
More Medical Billing and Coding Schools in Oregon
|Anthem College – Portland||4145 SW Watson Avenue, Suite 300|
Beaverton, OR 97005
|Chemeketa Community College||4000 Lancaster Dr NE, |
Salem, OR 97309
|Concord Career College – Portland||1425 NE Irving Street, |
Portland, OR 97232
|Everest College – Portland||600 SW 10th Ave., Suite 400|
Portland, OR 97205
|Everest Institute – Tigard||9600 SW Oak Street, |
4th Floor Tigard, OR 97223
|Heald College – LLC-Portland||6035 NE 78th Ct, |
Portland, OR 97218
|Institute of Technology||4707 Silverton Rd NE|
Salem, OR 97305
|Lane Community College||4000 East 30th Ave., |
Eugene, Oregon 97405
|Mt. Hood Community College||26000 SE Stark St. |
Gresham, OR 97030
|Umpqua Community College||1140 Umpqua College Rd., |
Roseburg, OR 97470